URBANA – At a panel hosted by Illinois Newsroom this week, University of Illinois police, administrators, professors and students discussed the role of the campus police — and why some want the department abolished and their funding invested in other services. The discussion follows an Illinois Newsroom series by education reporter Lee Gaines about the growing movement to defund campus cops.
The following people participated in a 90-minute discussion on Facebook live event on February 9 to discuss their perspectives:
- Alice Cary, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Police Chief
- Latrel Crawford, University of Illinois Senior And Theater Major
- Sean Garrick, Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Naomi Paik, Associate Professor, HRI-Mellon Faculty Fellow in the Legal Humanities
- Michael Schlosser, Director of the Police Training Institute
- Leojae Bleu Steward, University of Illinois Senior And Theater Major
The discussion was moderated by Lee Gaines, Education Reporter at Illinois Public Media.
There will be a follow up Facebook Live discussion on February 25 at 7:00 p.m. focused on solutions. Gaines will also moderate that discussion.