Champaign County Virus Cases Grow To 3; IL Cases Now 753

In this image from a scanning electron microscope, the new coronavirus is in orange.
In this image from a scanning electron microscope, the new coronavirus is in orange.

CHAMPAIGN – The state of Illinois reported dozens of new COVID-19 cases, including two more in Champaign County and the first involving members of the University of Illinois System.

On Saturday, the Illinois Department of Public Health reported 168 new cases of coronavirus. The total in the state stands at 753 cases, including people who have made full recoveries.  26 counties have been affected.

The state said a Cook County man in his 70s was the sixth and latest person to die in Illinois from the disease.

For the first time since Sunday, there are two new cases to report in Champaign County. In a release, the Champaign-Urbana Public Health said two men, one in his 30s and another in 50s, are now in-home isolation and recovering. Last Sunday, the department announced a woman was also recovering at home after testing positive in Champaign County.

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Chancellor Robert J. Jones confirmed in a mass email that both patients are employees.:

“The first was last on campus on March 13. That individual was tested on March 15, received medical treatment and has been in self-quarantine at home since that time. CUPHD has traced the activities of the individual prior to the self-quarantine and contacted the students, employees and community members who may have been in close proximity to the individual. But in this case, the CUPHD believes the risk of transmission is very low. The second employee was tested on March 18. In this case, CUPHD reports this individual has not had any contact with others, is in self-quarantine and the risk of transmission is very low. Federal health privacy laws prevent us from sharing any other information about individuals who have tested positive.”

Effective March 21 at 5:00 p.m., Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker has ordered the state’s residents to remain in their homes except for essential needs to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Pritzker’s order announced Friday will still allow the state’s 12.6 million residents to seek essentials including groceries and medicine. The order will take effect Saturday and last through April 7.

Reginald Hardwick

Reginald Hardwick

Reginald Hardwick is the News & Public Affairs Director for the Illinois Newsroom. He started at WILL in October of 2019 after serving as News Director for WKAR in East Lansing, Michigan. Previously, he was a news producer and manager at the NBC station in Dallas, where he won 7 Emmy awards. Born in Vietnam, Reginald is a graduate of the University of Northern Colorado. Email: rh14@illinois.edu Twitter: @RNewsWILL

WILL and the Illinois Newsroom are committed to bringing you in-depth, relevant coverage that keeps you informed and engages you with our community and our state. Join with thousands of others to keep this important public media-based resource available to all. Donate today >>

Recent Content

WILL and the Illinois Newsroom are committed to bringing you in-depth, relevant coverage that keeps you informed and engages you with our community and our state. Join with thousands of others to keep this important public media-based resource available to all.